How can successful integration of BIM with LEED help in sustainable practices?
The interest of the developing sustainable and green urban area is growing by designing environment-friendly structures that are elite, requires low cost and are high performers.
Today, we are not only taking a look at structures’ affirmation but also sustainable practices that go past evaluations to fulfill our social duties.
The structure development business, all in all, will get an advantage by an incorporated instrument that will help streamline the choice procedure of materials, types of gear, and frameworks at each phase of a proposed structure’s life.
BIM Services and LEED share a united vision, improving collaborative energy between different controls, which is key to get an increasingly proficient plan and progressively feasible structures. From this point of view, we built up an inventive technique planned for improving proficiency in the design stage and cultivating the interchangeability among BIM and sustainable structure devices fundamental for LEED certification.
BIM can possibly help designers to choose the correct kind of materials during the early plan to organize and to settle on imperative choices that will affect the life cycle of feasible structures. Upon successful integration of BIM with LEED, a green practice can be adopted which can improve project outcomes and facilitate the accomplishment of sustainability goals. BIM helps plan LEED credits by allowing architects to have multiple levels of information on a Architectural 3D Modeling Services platform using Autodesk Revit.
For instance, in addition to knowing the location and size of a door, an architect can provide information about the building materials that were used in the making of that door and what percent of those materials come from recycled content. This is useful in gaining points for LEED division Materials and Resources (MR)
Application of Insight plug-in to create energy models
Insight is a plug-in used to create energy models in Revit which is created by Autodesk. It helps to improve energy and environmental performance throughout the building’s lifecycle by performing heating and cooling analysis, lighting analysis and solar analysis. After the successful installation of insight in Revit, it can be seen popping up in the analyze tab.
In a nutshell, it helps to understand the different aspects of a building’s performance analysis before construction begins.
Procedure for performing the analysis
- HVAC heating and cooling load analysis
- Heating and cooling load analysis are performed by reviewing the overall size of the building and determining the break-up of loads in specific areas.
- In Insight new systems can be added and existing ones can be modified as required.
- To get started with heating and cooling load calculations, click on heating and cooling icon on the analyze tab.
- After clicking on the heating-cooling icon, Insight will generate a load calculation report for the Revit model.
- After clicking the visualize button, there are options for viewing heating loads and cooling loads.
- The user can view cooling or heating loads for any particular area in the model.
- Similarly, energy cost can also be viewed. Image shows energy cost in USD/ft2/yr.
- Different energy costs for a variety of systems can be viewed by adjusting the slider.
- Lighting analysis
- This tool is used for daylighting calculations in Revit based on location and sky conditions.
- To get started with Lighting analysis, click on the Lighting icon from the analyze tab.
- Then the user has the option to run a new analysis or to recall previously saved results from the drop-down menu.
- After clicking on Go, there are a number of options for the user to set as per desired settings. Click on Start Analysis after all the settings are done.
- After clicking on Start Analysis, Insight will generate a Lighting Analysis Room Schedule to get details about the rooms included in the analysis.
- In addition to the schedule, Insight will also generate a Lighting floor plan and 3D view which shows solar access for different areas in the model.
- Solar analysis
- This tool is used for analyzing solar radiations on surfaces based on a building’s location and orientation.
- To get started with Solar analysis, click on the Solar icon from the analyze tab.
- A pop-up appears which allows you to select the desired settings from a number of options as shown below. After this is done click on Update.
- Results are generated on the screen in the dialog box which shows PV energy production and total energy savings and a schematic representation appears in the 3D view.
Energy models can enable you to scrutinize the variations of energy in, out, and through the rooms and volumes in a structure model. This data can enable the designers to take improved decisions, make practical choices that enhance the performance by making the structure more sustainable.
Entire structure energy simulations estimates expected energy use (fuel and power) in light of the structure’s geometry, atmosphere, building type, envelope properties, and dynamic frameworks (HVAC and Lighting). It considers the interdependencies of the structure all in all framework improving the sustainability of the structure model.
Leave a Reply