Complete analysis of Architectural BIM Services and overall BIM process
Architectural BIM Services is one of the most widely used Services from the BIM technology. Companies these days are navigating the process slowly and gradually. Solutions like BIM C ordination, clash detection etc. come at a much later stage but developing 3D geometry, creating Revit content, structural and MEP models etc. are utilized at the initial stages of designing and planning. These are just one of the many services that virtual construction modeling can offer us.
Architectural BIM Modelling defines the development of a 3D model presenting the overall building designs. We can use the same model through the entire construction process. When an Architect creates a 3D Model it will include the following components
- Interiors: Walls, doors, windows, roof, ceiling, floors, glass etc.
- Exterior: Roof, Elevations, Façade, Site Modelling, canopies, Façade detailing etc.
- Furniture Modelling
These components can be created by creating In-place Revit families, system families or by creating loadable families. Loadable families can also be parametric in nature and you can actually use them for other BIM models we create. For example, if we create a chair, the chair can be used in another project by changing the height/width parameter, material parameter etc. This is one of the main reasons why Design firms are switching over to Architectural BIM Modeling. Let us do a detailed SWOT analysis on the adoption of BIM modeling overall.
An Introduction to SWOT
SWOT is a process that is used to analyze the Strengths, Weakness, Opportunity, and Threats of any business process or other processes worldwide. This process is used worldwide for all type of evaluations. When we talk about BIM, this analysis will be of the Strength, Weakness, Opportunities, and Threats of implementing Building Information Modelling process in any company. It acts as an investigating tool to make Construction companies, Architectural firms etc. understand the pros and cons of using virtual construction technology
- BIM Modelling or BIM Services is a single answer to all construction issues and concerns arising in the construction arena. Today’s buildings are complex, utility and sustainability is important. The building standards and codes have changed to a great extent. With increasing population, changing climate increased need for utility and efficient space planning BIM comes to the rescue of the construction companies. The best part of BIM is that we can start using it right from the conceptual design stage and work through even after construction is complete. The model becomes the single point of all building related data that is required for a building construction and maintenance. Services like Revit family creation, Architectural construction Drawings, 3D visualization, BIM Coordination Services etc. help in reducing wastage of materials, Construction time and overall cost.
- Architectural BIM Services gives an edge to the overall design presentation and development process. The building is virtually developed in 3D and given materials, textures, detailing etc. along with 4D construction sequencing and 5D BIM costing. This Architectural 3D Model later can be upgraded to an as-built model and facility management model for further building maintenance. We can also create Architectural Construction drawings from the BIM Model.
- BIM Services also helps in checking high-end interference checks for BIM coordination. By working with this process, all the design issues can be corrected prior to construction. The onsite construction indeed becomes seamless and overrunning budget can be eliminated.
- We can also work with sustainable building concept, which helps in the construction of energy efficient buildings. This is one of the few services available in the Architectural BIM Modelling arena. This process significantly reduces toxic emissions and minimizes the utilization of energy to a great extent.
- With all the benefits and advantages, BIM Modelling Services has become an integral part of the construction process
Since we are talking about overall SWOT Analysis we will talk about the weaknesses or the flip side of using BIM.
- Internal collaboration is excellent with BIM, however, it does not help in collaboration among different occupations.
- The primary focus of BIM Modelling is building a virtual model and entire process revolves around that. It is more geometry oriented than information oriented
- You cannot use BIM effectively in a single construction phase. To avail the wholesome benefit of BIM Modelling you need to use it in the end to end project lifecycle.
- It demands initial investment such as implementation cost, training cost, hiring cost etc. Since many companies still shy away from the concept marketing this concept also takes time and money.
- BIMServices has opened flood gates of opportunities to construction industry. It helps in developing world class construction systems by reducing time and cost both.
- Government and other institutions are also revising the construction standards to develop newer BIM standards that can bring further developments in the construction field.
- BIM Implementation in a way may be a road block to companies following the initial age old construction Methods. This many create a conflict in the construction industry.
- There may be a need to add newer standards, codes, building laws etc. when there is a need to implement BIM Services overall. Involvement of Government becomes important.
- The construction companies, who implement BIM, are less and therefore the suppliers are also less in number.
Leave a Reply