Enhancement of BIM workflow using Dynamo
The AEC industry has harnessed digital technologies to enhance its project process and workflow. The industry is deviating from the conventional processes to newer processes and systems for creating impactful deliverables. In this context, visual programming tool like Dynamo has propelled the industry to improve the project design process and simplify existing workflows and efficiency.
Dynamo is an open-source visual-programming tool that exerts visual expressions using scripts, spatially arranged graphics and texts as syntax or secondary notations. Regardless of creating a program textually, this programming language allows the user to contend with graphical elements called “nodes” in an interactive manner.
Benefits of node in Dynamo
Each node indicates a specific API function and has an input and output port. A node’s output is connected to the input port of other nodes via a wire to radiate data or information. The information flows in a single direction through the wires.
Nodes or groups of nodes are available in Dynamo Package Manager, where the user can create, share or upload packages. The user gets access to the VPL library of nodes and elects a specific node to perform a task.
Dynamo extends tailor-made solutions to execute iterative and dynamic tasks. Dynamo automation entitles designers to streamline the BIM workflows and processes through data-driven automation and design.
Integrating Dynamo into BIM Workflow
Integrating Dynamo into BIM workflow helps reduce costs and project risks, achieve various repetitive yet crucial tasks through generative design automation. Here is the process:-
- It is essential to have an open-source version of Dynamo to integrate the tool with Revit software. The version can be downloaded and installed from DynamoBIM.org. Once it gets installed, it is added to the add-ins tab of Revit software.
- Dynamo is launched as add-ins in a supported version of Revit to fabricate changes and modifications in the Revit file. In this way, it enhances the workflow of the BIM projects.
- Users get access to the packages and customized nodes. Revit Dynamo is linked to the file, page or view through which it is launched. Any changes made to the file in dynamo get updated to the page from where the dynamo was launched.
- If the users work in a different Revit file, the run button gets grey in colour and becomes dysfunctional in the manual mode. While in the automatic mode, no changes are made if the user is on a file not connected to Dynamo or its launch page.
- Dynamo supports the transfer of parametric value in Revit, which gets directly exported to file in excel, which assists in calculating the floor area values and creates floor levels from excel. It also performs numerous functions such as legend are placed into multiple sheets, grid line can be automated, renumber any parking space sheets, create sheet from view and pipes from lines in excel file.
Dynamo and Revit Modeling Services together can be enforced to analyze complex geometries, automate repetitive processes, minimize human error, and export data to excel files and other file-types not supported by Revit.
Benefits of integrating Dynamo into BIM Workflow are:-
- Dynamo automates repetitive tasks, which makes your projects more productive and effective.
- Easily access and manage the building data of Revit with Dynamo.
- Assessment of project design performance.
- Explore multiple design options.
The Success of a seamless workflow lies in the process and tools an architect, designer, or engineer uses within the complete lifecycle and AEC industry. The integration of Dynamo with Revit software amplifies project workflow through improved efficiency and greater productivity. The aptness to produce high-end project deliverables, reduced costs, and timeline using Dynamo can benefit architects, designers and engineers to optimize their project delivery.
Dynamo has proven to be the best visual programming tool for implementing BIM Services automation in various phases of the project. Through this automation, the user can streamline data entry, complex modeling, fuel better collaboration, enhance team communication and repetitive tasks in all aspects of the project.
Leave a Reply